League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Preparation for 2004 and a new beginning

By MVRowner - League Admin
4/23/2024 3:50 pm
dangalanti wrote:
Since I'm one of the new owners. I wanted to make sure I'm following all of the league rules properly. I did see the note about the Deebo rule and adjusted my depth chart before preseason game one, but had a question about FBs. Doesn't putting a 217 lb RB in for a 243 lb FB give you the same speed advantage you're trying to eliminate? I know FB isn't the prime target for some of the "home run" pass plays like a TE is, but isn't any speed advantage from playing someone out of position (on offense OR defense) going to put some owners at a disadvantage if they're not doing it too? I appreciate the leagues that have a gentleman's agreement about this, but was just wondering why FBs seem to be getting a pass. Thanks for the clarification.

In terms of the FB situation and all the other rules for that matter, it is just a preseason experiment that won't be applied toward the regular season. As slowtospeak and McBolt say, there is no way to impose rules for the regular season this late into the season. The preseason might as well serve as a test to see if it is worth making changes during the 2005 offseason, with the sample size of the 2004 preseason, which isn't a lot, but is a start.
I think part of the idea of the FB position has been remembering the 2023 NFL season and noticing the utilization of players and varying positions. Like 6 OL sets, a random player lined up at the FB position, and ETC. Is it a perfect way to set things up, no. On hindsight, I probably should have put more thought into planning any sort of ideas, but at least there's next year, and we'll focus on growing the league this year.