Draft recaps?

By Qwertyuiop
2/28/2023 4:49 am
Anyone wanna do recaps here?

Re: Draft recaps?

By TheRookie
2/28/2023 9:09 am
New Orleans Saints 1998 Draft Recap

1.18 LG Christopher Powell +8/-3 This team was in dire need at OL and started off their draft with a miss, although he will be kept on as a backup.

2.31 SLB Andrew Seale +3/-4 Another miss here as things didn't work out in TC but will also make team as a backup.

3.31 RG Levi Hartzell +6/+8 Probably the team's best pick of this draft though he is rough around the edges he will be a future starter.

4.31 LT Joshua McClary +4/-13 A complete bust in TC and will be cut.

5.17 RT Corey Marshall +10/+6 Solid pickup here as he had a great TC and looks the part for a future starter.

5.31 K Dennis Hoagland +6/+7 Not a stud but his great TC might be enough for him to make the team, backup for now.

6.31 CB David Bagby +10/+1 Only due to need does he make the cut, backup.

7.31 DT Robert Ross +2/-4 Another TC bust will be cut.

Overall a poor draft as we missed on our first two picks and those were at high need positions. We did manage a few OL that will help the team as well as a future backup CB.

Overall Grade D+

By ArmoredGiraffe
2/28/2023 10:45 am
3.18 WR Robin Gill +5/-3 The first of a long trend for this Colts draft. A guy who profiled to be a high intangible with good skill busts and might not even make the roster now. A Colts team that needs more playmakers gets to try again next season.

3.21 WR Terence Jones +1/-16 The guy who was supposed to be high risk high reward makes me wonder if players bust harder than they boom. Another high intangible guy who will likely not make the roster but management needs to sort out all the **** from this draft.

4.20 C Arthur Gallo +2/-9 What would have been a huge draft day steal for a 4th round pick with great intangibles all around, turns into an auto cut that we will be paying money to NOT play for us. Great pick Giraffe

5.19 OL James Holz +0/-8 A guy who had speed concerns but muscled out 45 reps on the bench press at the combine shows that maybe we should have watched the tape a little more closely. Another auto cut and another year the OL gets older without a lot of youth coming in.

6.21 OL Terry Fisher +0/-15 A guy with huge upside who profiled to be a long term player on the team provided he reached his potential. Not the greatest intangibles but getting starting caliber OL in the 6th round is value. Terry Fisher however is taking his training camp salary and going fishing like he always dreamed of, in a 12ft jon boat.

7.20 OL Craig Cochran +4/-9 Wow look at that, another auto cut. And another busted draft pick. Turns out crawfishing all summer instead of working out at the team facilities is not the correct move. Looks like Craig knows that now.

UDFA: QB Calvin Hillenbrand +2/-5 A slight chance to find a kick holding backup. Not much was expected and not much was gained. WLB Fred Price +6/+4 A boom! Finally!! Now if only I drafted him so he got the late round bonus!!! Instead he gets to marginally improve even with 100 vol!!!! This system is so well designed!!!!! He definitely make the roster but ultimately his tackling ability will likely get him condemned to being DB depth. DB Mitchell Smalls +5/+2 Small school, Smalls name, small boom but he is fast enough to make the roster. Not a thrilling addition but something.

I'm being a little salty about the draft system because of this current draft, but man does it feel bad to have a draft like this. Overall, the Colts likely took another step back as we don't add a single young impact player for this season.

By MVRowner - League Admin
2/28/2023 7:09 pm
3-6: Larry Iser (RB) (38/67) +8/-3
This draft did not produce any solid RBs. The first RB taken was drafted with the 41st pick. Iser is definitely not going to be a pass catching RB and he might be fighting for a roster spot.

3-9: Raymond McClung (WR) (51/74) +9/+2
This is where I started drafting best position available as I could not find any positions of need after the 6th pick. McClung will help keep this receiving core young and possibly add some run game contribution.

3-23: Justin Davis (LG) (49/74) +6/-1
Another best player available pick. He’ll definitely play more of backup role but at least we add more depth to a position that lacked depth.

3-30: Todd Day (RB) (40/77) +12/+7
Wasn’t exactly a best player available pick but arguably the best RB to be drafted from this draft class. He’ll most likely be an RB2 unless William Torres struggles at the RB1 position.

5-8: Paul Byrd (DT) (29/50) 0/-3
Instant cut, hoping to have more help at the DT position but to no avail.

5-18: Ross Weidner (C) (41/64) +3/-3
He is going to be borderline to make the roster but we’ll find out after preseason.

5-20: Michael Eck (TE) (32/47) +1/-13
Instant roster cut.

6-18: Kenneth Lang (CB) (34/53) +6/-2
Another roster cut.

Undrafted:
Gary McKenney (FS) (22/36) +7/0
A possible cut after the preseason or whenever I can get a trade.

Trades:
Dolphins send:
Dirk Diggler (FS)
2000 7th round

Rams send:
William Torres (RB)
1999 3rd round
1999 4th round
2000 2nd round

Dirk Diggler is a reliable yet aging safety and the Dolphins are rolling the dice on RB William Torres who has never had a 1000 yard rushing season and struggles with yards per carry.

Summary:
Didn’t have a lot of expectations on this draft but I’d say 2 3rd round steals make this a very good draft. Hopefully the William Torres trade will pay off and give some juice to an offense that struggled with moving the ball. The major flag is the defense especially the secondary. If I had been able to find anybody with some sort of decency, I would have given myself a B+, but with the secondary being a concern, I’m going to give myself a B-. Hopefully the offense has its retooling to compete while the defense can be rebuilt through the trade block.