League Forums

Main - League Help

Free Agency Advice/ Help

By dd35
12/13/2019 8:21 am
I was hoping to get some of you guys' advice about how you choose to navigate the free agency waters. One thing about me in real life, is that I don't believe in overpaying for something I don't absolutely need. That trait has bled into MFN with me. But the problem I am having is identifying a players true value in free agency. So I was hoping to get your opinions on a few questions:

- How do you determine a players worth in free agency?

- Do you have any metric that you use to determine the amount of salary or bonus that a player should receive? (Or is it a moving target that changes every year depending on player availability in the market)

This is still only my 2nd free agency period in MFN, so I am sure I will learn more as I get more experience, but would appreciate your insights.

Re: Free Agency Advice/ Help

By Androwski
12/13/2019 11:15 am
- How do you determine a players worth in free agency?

· Always try to improve your roster. If you have an upgrade available in the FA, go for it. Some positions are more worth than others (CB's >> all)

- Do you have any metric that you use to determine the amount of salary or bonus that a player should receive? (Or is it a moving target that changes every year depending on player availability in the market)

· You can search for the FA's signed in past offseasons to see how high you'll have to go.

Everybody have different strategies. For me, the keys are:

· Don't be afraid to offer high offers if you like the player, especially if they're still young. It's so cheap to re-sign you own FA's that you'll have plenty of cap space every year.

· Some owners will disagree with this one but... DON'T OFFER LARGE CONTRACTS TO VETERANS PLAYERS (+8 yrs exp). No matter what. You'll eat a lot of Dead Cap in the future. If you want to sign a vet, 1 or 2 yrs contracts with high bonus money.

· Spend some time trying to find some gems for cheap. Having depth is always important.

I'm sure someone can add more tips :)

By GrandadB
12/20/2019 6:55 pm
I use a lot of FA's that have been cut or passed over, some are very low rated by the Ai default, but perform at much higher level. I won 8 games in a very competitive league (NCAA) with a team comprised of nothing but 1 yr contract FA's. I had to do that due to an extremely bad sal cap foul up, but it made me really focus on key attributes, speed being one of them, especially for certain positions.

As far as early FA, and bidding on "blue chippers", its a combination of knowing how important the player/position is and how much you need to bid to have a good shot of landing that player. Ive seen maximum bids from very good GMs, and they were justified as it put them in a better position to win the LC. Its a good idea, as was mentioned previously, to look at one or two previous early FA periods, that will give you an accurate estimate of what you will need to bid to have a good chance. There's also days 2 and 3, which can be very beneficial as it allows you to see if there are any bids on a player of interest and how much. You can narrow your bid and see if you can "scoop" the player or bid a lot higher to increase the chances. Keep in mind, the best offer $-wise does not always get the contract.
Last edited at 12/20/2019 6:57 pm

By setherick
12/20/2019 10:37 pm
This is my recommendation always: https://champions.myfootballnow.com/community/3/4277?page=1#27278