League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Completed Trade: Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos

By Gustoon
6/03/2018 7:05 pm
Going over the cap. I'm in mfn26 (for now) and this highlighted, jdb put a fix in....
Basically what it was supposed to do was to stop a team going out in FA and signing all the top players for silly money and be over the cap.

By greyghost1225
6/03/2018 7:11 pm
Makes sense, but if a team doesn’t go over the cap it is hard to monitor. In the case of this team, a handful of players were signed over the age of 30 to max contracts. The owner then for whatever reason left. It won’t hit for a couple of seasons, but those players will retire. I don’t fault anything that has been put in place, system or previous ownership. It is just something i have to deal with.it is my team now.

By Warthog
6/03/2018 7:15 pm
Gustoon wrote:
Going over the cap. I'm in mfn26 (for now) and this highlighted, jdb put a fix in....
Basically what it was supposed to do was to stop a team going out in FA and signing all the top players for silly money and be over the cap.

Ok, I am going to say I have an issue with this. In MFN19, I had a team that was very close to the cap. On the day before the Championship, I put renewal offers out to three of my top players that were about to be free agents. All three were rejected. Apparently for the reason you just laid out.

So I tried again the next day with it being the end of the season. All my dead cap was going off and I would have plenty of cap space to cover the offers to these three guys. Again they got rejected. And then I lost all three in free agency. I should be able to renew my own players and go over the cap and then make other adjustments to get back under. And on the last day, I had plenty of space so I should have been able to resign them.
Last edited at 6/03/2018 7:17 pm

By Gustoon
6/03/2018 9:47 pm
greyghost1225 wrote:
Makes sense, but if a team doesn’t go over the cap it is hard to monitor. In the case of this team, a handful of players were signed over the age of 30 to max contracts. The owner then for whatever reason left. It won’t hit for a couple of seasons, but those players will retire. I don’t fault anything that has been put in place, system or previous ownership. It is just something i have to deal with.it is my team now.

I don't know the ins and outs of what's going on, but I know you are a good owner.

By Gustoon
6/03/2018 9:55 pm
Warthog wrote:
Gustoon wrote:

Ok, I am going to say I have an issue with this. In MFN19, I had a team that was very close to the cap. On the day before the Championship, I put renewal offers out to three of my top players that were about to be free agents. All three were rejected. Apparently for the reason you just laid out.

So I tried again the next day with it being the end of the season. All my dead cap was going off and I would have plenty of cap space to cover the offers to these three guys. Again they got rejected. And then I lost all three in free agency. I should be able to renew my own players and go over the cap and then make other adjustments to get back under. And on the last day, I had plenty of space so I should have been able to resign them.

Unless I'm missing something here, it doesn't matter how much cap space you have NEXT year , cap space is year to year and ends on season end, you can't 'borrow cap space ' from the following season.
I've had a lot of rum so pardon me if I've got this wrong :)

By Warthog
6/03/2018 10:22 pm
No, I wasn't trying to borrow cap space. The first attempt to resign my pleasures was with two day left in the season. If they would accepted, I would have gone over the cap. Which I have been over in the past and you get a warning about having to cut/trade players to get back under or the game will start cutting your highest cap players to get your team back under. But now it appears to be a hard cap and you can't ever go ever.

My second attempt to re-sign the players was on the last day of the season. I was hoping the ordering of pieces for the off-season would mean my dead cap would move out and then these players would be able to accept the offers. But that didn't happen either.

When was this change made? Because if it was made after my trade deadline, I got screwed. My plan was always to re-sign these guys on the last day and then the dead cap rolling off would keep my under the cap. Essentially I had no option to keep these players after the trade deadline as there was no realistic way for me to get under the cap until the next season started. Which means I was forced to lose good players.

By Beercloud
6/04/2018 11:43 am
Was this fix in a new patch that maybe our league doesn't have yet since were in mid season?