League Forums

Main - Team News

Re: Kansa City Star

By Meatmen
7/05/2019 2:06 am
Meatmen wrote:
KANSA CITY STAR
December 30,1979

WELL OK, Chiefs fans. We won one in a real squeaker over the Texans. My last column did more to fire up Chiefs nation than the offense did last week. It seems the story went viral or maybe just caught a Virus? I got responses from all Paydirt America. Trust me when I say that the out of town responses were much kinder than the ones I got from the Chiefs nation. Two in particular stood out: I was offered a plane ticket to Wisconsin to hang next to “Big deal” Davis's effigy? The other had something to do with my genitals, my mother and a horse. (you can figure it out).

Meatman was spotted at the Rockies game for fireworks night last night and then again at the Denver Pavilion for more fireworks on the 4th! He sure has become accustomed to shiny, sparkly things like his new big dollar contract extension! Hope he can live up to his billing.

It's a holiday so I will make this short and sweet. Chargers and Chiefs in a must win situation. Where do I start....MM vs Jcruz 2-10. since 73, Chiefs post season w/ MM 1-1 Chargers post season w/ jcruz 7-5 which in it self is misleading. The Chargers are not nor have they been a mere bump in the road. They are for real. 3 division titles, 4 WC and a league championship to their name they are no joke!Only a heartbreaking FG with 38 seconds left has divided them from the Holy Grail!

Happy 4th, Keep on dreaming KC, Sometimes dreams can come true. It's gonna be a brutal game no matter what! May the best team win.

Editors note: you are more than welcome to speak your mind and send all the ugly thoughts, prayers and social media posts about me...please leave my family and pets out of it!

WHOOPS.....LMAO... I am referencing the 4th of july Holiday and Baseball on December 30th!
Real good thing I'm a Chef and not a real writer.

Sports editor,
R Cunningham
Last edited at 7/05/2019 2:06 am

By Meatmen
7/05/2019 5:03 am
jgcruz wrote:
Meatmen wrote:
Can anyone tell i'm nervous LOL GOOD LUCK TO ALL !

****, even I’m rooting for you.

I need to write articles more often!

By Meatmen
7/05/2019 8:40 am
jgcruz wrote:
I hate your dog! ;-)

I'm not a fan of that Lil Broke D$#K son of gun either LOL I wish I could figure out how to put a picture up..LOL I'll get there ...I just figured out how to do quotes last season!

By Androwski
7/05/2019 9:37 am

Good luck Meatman. It's going to be tough but I'm anxious to win against you and hear your rant about the 4.5 version lol just kidding.

By Meatmen
7/05/2019 1:47 pm
Hey I'm not smart enough to put something cool like that up. It's gonna be a good game my friend. We don't get to play much..so let's make this one count. You have a great team Good Luck sir.............MM

By Meatmen
7/12/2019 3:29 am
Kansa City star
Jan 19, 1980

I would have & I think I did put money on the Chiefs settling down with a huge bowl of pop corn and
fighting over the clicker by now. Instead they served me up a “HUGE” helping of Crow (smoked) and lit a bag of meatman's dog **** on fire, put it on my porch and rang the bell!

Somehow the Kansas City Chiefs are still in it!?!? They have managed to win 3 Play off games on the road!Against the AFC”S best! Who woulda thunk it? Seattle, however is a different story. They have not lost a game since week 2 to Tampa (39-13). A game in which Tamps was able to keep the ball out of John Sullivan's hands with a amazing 40-20 minutes of possession. They held the Sea hawks to 255 total 179 in the air and 73 on the ground. They scored on 8 of their 15 drives and ran up 513 total yards 193 of them on the ground. Fast forward perfect season later (14 Regular & 2 Post season wins) only three teams came within a Touchdown! (Oak,SF,TB). 12 games with a margin of victory more than 17.
7 of those games they scored 40 or more including 66 against LA and 83 against Washington! The chiefs fell victim 31-17 (The official box score was incorrect.) In a game that saw the chiefs offense struggle. Unable to move the ball early and then again late in the game! If the Chiefs are to have a chance they can't try and play from behind. Keeping the ball from Sullivan and his cronies is a must.

While Sullivan burned up the league all season with 5400+ yards, 67% Completions 54 TD's 11 INT's and 5 sacks. AMAZING ! In his third straight season making the post season Sullivan is 2-0 with Seattle and 5-2 over all. Interestingly enough losing to the Sea hawks in the CC in 1977! In turn Azevado or “ACE” (as he has refereed to lately) turned in another steady performance. ACE threw for over 4000 yards and a 66% completion rate. His 25 TD's to 21 INT's are concerning but he was only sacked 4 times for 40 yards. A complete flip flop from his first two seasons when he was sacked 61 times but only threw 15 INT's. I see that largely a part of the changes in the game the last 2 seasons.

Ace has improved over the course of the season 11 of his INT's came in the first 4 weeks of the season when the Chiefs were 1-3. A Birght spot for the Chiefs may be that Walter has 7 TD's & 3 INT's in 3 post season games with a 66% completions and a 92.90 QB rating. While in two Post season games Sullivan's numbers are not as good. In two games he ha thrown 2 TD's to 4 INT's with a 69.38 QB rating! Don't expect that to continue! This guy is a MONSTER! It will take all that the chiefs can muster to keep him in check! Don't forget about John Jackson the 90 SPD terror that has 2100+ yards
and 11 TD's 1000+ on the ground (4.7in per) and in the air (79.9 rec) How do you defend this guy! You go dow the list Gonzolez, Hall, Lokken, Hyslop , Taylor It's freaking bone chilling!

If the Chiefsare to win they need everyone to a man to contribute and pull more than his weight! There are 11 Players that have rings from the previous administration. Theymay be a Lil long in the tooth these long time assets are the heart of this team and they need to lead and inspire the younger players like Mitchel, Remely, Forgey, Jones Black, and Hanning! We are going to miss Frank Bell, Mathew Smith, Kevin Taylor And Thomas Martinez. Theyhave a chance to do what S timel others like Keith Willis, Chareles Varney, Jimmy Chow and the many other long Chiefs will miss out on due to the passage of Time. The Chiefs can “RISE UP” and win this thing. We ca close out the 70”s on top inspire they future of this franchise moving into a new decade! No matter what happens tomorrow the Chiefs will come home winners in our hearts. I close in wishing “good luck” to the sea hawks and awest (not toomuch)and I can say with conviction that this team I doubted for much of this season has won me over. So let's throw the fatted sow and a brisket or two in the smoker and see if the Chiefs can pull just one more out of ….well...you know.....GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

R Cunningham
Sports editor and chiefs fan

By Meatmen
8/15/2019 11:49 pm

Kansa City Star,
8/22/80

One of the many indulgences includes the fact I am privileged to have a pen..so said “mightier than the sword”! Unless you use your pen for foolish endeavors.....I doubted the Chiefs and their leader last year and paid for it. I will continue to do so..just because I am bound by ethics to give you the whole picture.

As we move into the 80's the chiefs lack of movement is concerning to say the least. Meatman's handling of the recent draft was appalling to say the least..while I give him the fact that he was immersed in the allocation draft in Paydirt B it's no excuse to let the big team suffer. He allowed
the 56 year old “i'm going to **** myself” Kenneth Graham to pick the future of the team. While he was off picking lint or something from brittanyspeerlindseylohan.com. EWE

I was looking forward to this season being a disaster! Freakin Meatman has stuck the pen into my hand just once again.Like Heidi on the porch screaming for her father on Helen Keller desperately trying to scribble a message I want to be heard “MEATMAN SUCKS”! I say he needs to move on !

Still, he wins and makes my life ****...Great for you Chiefs fans. The mighty pen is weak when it comes to the belief I a team, a culture, a tradition. 3 wins does not a tradition make! I have watched you
through all those seasons that you didn't make the playoffs. You got lucky and all of KC knows it. You are the RED & WHITE whale “For Hate's sake I SPIT my last breathe at thee”.

Robert Cunningham
sports editor

By Meatmen
8/16/2019 12:06 am
Your just jealous Robert cuz MoMMa loved me more and Brittany is mine! BWHAHAHAHA!.............................MM

By Meatmen
9/21/2019 8:12 am
KANSA CITY STAR
January 12,1981

Where do I begin KC? The end of another amazing but heartbreaking season. A 12 game win streak to begin with. I could see the question marks in the eyes of the Chiefs faithful. Do we dare to hope? If we give voice to those hopes will it end in another late season disaster? Not so..the Chiefs won this years horse race going away! After an amazing 12-0 start the chiefs showed they were indeed human. A defense that suffered numerous injuries in the final 4 games. 2 games in bad weather a snowstorm in NY and a rainstorm vs. Miami showed the teams weakness as the running game could not adjust and “The Ace” was in largely ineffective. The Chiefs ended up with a very respectable 14-2 record and had home team advantage and a bye week in their pockets. Coming out of the break the chiefs (in my book) were the odds on favorites to return to the Super Bowl. However, they struggled against Buffalo. Pulling out the victory with a late game INT and a 33 yd return. They walked in the winning TD. The offense was sluggish at best. Frankly, I thought we were lucky to get off the field with the W. On to LC game the offense never got warmed up. In the pouring rain the chiefs watched their hopes of another Super Bowl go down the proverbial drain. Once again feeling the cold slap of reality.

I'm not bashing this team. After all this was supposed to be the beginning of a retooling. A new beginning. What the what? The Chiefs should rebuild every year. It may be painful now (and for the foreseeable future) but the Chiefs find their backs to the wall and in great need of some younger and fresher faces. The loss of Frank Bell last year and Andrew Wilson (who probably won't be offered a contract) has depleted an already very thin WR Core. The offensive line, especially the tackles need revamping and replacing. The RB core desperately needs an upgrade and we could use a TE or two. It's no wonder “THE ACE” is suffering. He is as good as any but lacks the tools to excel at his craft. 1982 will be his 7th season a he has fully matured into the QB we all knew he could be. Despite the game version “THE ACE” has progressed nicely. His disadvantage has been the rapidly aging weapons and a tight fisted skin flint of a front office. Lamar Hunt has rarely opened the wallet and Meatman is just as bad. I understand that both men prefer to build a team from within. Most of the time in Paydirt it's the only way as the FA market is tough and many times you pay way to much money for older less productive players. Seeing that the Chiefs have had double digit wins in 10 of 11 seasons and (7 of the last 8) makes the draft a tough way to go as well.

To add insult to injury the defense is in just as bad shape. We will likely lose long time WLB David Ali as he wants almost 14M in bonus $$ and is in his 9th year. I'm expecting to lose SS Martinez (13Y/40%R and SS Cleveland (13Y/50%R) and possibly even CB's Joseph Sun (11Y/30%R) and Morgan(9Y)have lost their speed a huge hit to the secondary for sure. The defensive line suffered “A TON” of injuries in the late season. Stalwarts like all time sack leader Denniston (13Y/20%R) and Cartwright (11Y/10%R) may have a season or two left but will need replacing soon. It's not all doom and gloom KC. Meatman needs to get on his horse and bring in some new talent over the next few years. All while trying to build a team in Syracuse. We shall see KC....we shall see................

Robert Cunningham
Sports editor

By Meatmen
9/28/2019 9:43 am
KANSA CITY STAR
January 26, 1981 (EOS? FA1)

Recently, I wrote a piece on the end of the Chiefs 1980 season mentioning some bright spots and some of the issues that have faced this team. I also mentioned some issues that are staring the future of this team right in the face. Apparently, my tolling of the bell ruffled some feathers with not only the Chiefs faithful. It seems that my opinions vibrated all the way through the team, through Meatman and clear to the top dog Owner Lamar Hunt! It seems that the truth (as I see it) hurts! Although, I count myself among the Chiefs faithful. I have a responsibility as the sports editor to present both sides of the coin. I do not write puff pieces, as you all know. I admit, I do sometimes take a sarcastic tone. It's just my style. Frankly, I feel, I write about the issues most everyone is thinking but won't talk about for fear of someone getting all BUTTHURT ! Trust me you wouldn't want to see the comments I (and my poor dog!)get tossed. Like hand grenades at a Sunday picnic at times. Digger (my dog) and I are used to it and have adjusted. Perhaps, It's time for some in the Chiefs nation to get thicker skin. In response to my piece Mr. Hunt has dispatched his #1. Meat man and I sat down this last weekend for a chat and here is that conversation. Enjoy!

RC; Hello sir, It's rare you do interviews and yet you called asking for some time. Did I ruffle some feathers? Have you been sent by the Hunt family to do damage control?

MM; I wouldn't call it damage control, more setting the record straight. You are right! I don't do much press. I'm the GM, I believe the focus should be on the players and coaches. They are the backbone of the team and Mr. Hunt and the ownership agree. Our job is to provide the tools and culture needed to win.......and YOUR DAMNED RIGHT I ASKED TO BE HEARD! (laughing and pounding fist!) I don't have no feathers! I'm no stinking bird! Seriously, we always get a lot of feedback from your pieces
Mr. Hunt and I would just like to share our vision for the future with you and our fans. The CHIEFS NATION! (Fist in the air and smiling)

[bRC; Your in a good mood. Have you been drinking (laughing). Let's get to the MEAT, if you will of our visit. Judging by the response, I know my article struck a chord within the chiefs nation and apparently the team itself. I'm wondering if that is the reason for your visit?][/b]

MM; Well Rob, can I call you Rob?

Well...I prefer Robert

MM: Perfect, Well Rob...I think that for the most part you were accurate in your analysis and commentary as a sports writer only based on what you see. You don't have a clue as to what may or may not be happening behind the scenes. You blather on and on about what might happen and.,... I, I, I think ? I get that it's your job as sports pundit. Truth is, I have some irons in the fire..you have been critical of my trades that sent some of this years picks out and brought picks in for the future...with the 3rd best w/l record in 1980. we will likely pick Very LOW in the 1981 draft..That takes a keen eye and lots of home work to get players that can produce.....we do not see the draft as our only means of recruitment. as you have pointed out on many occasions the hunts and I are frugal. We want value for our dollars. We are cautious when it comes to player acquisitions.

RC; Well I wouldn't call the Tony Sawyer trade cautious?! Would YOU? What do have to say to the many who have criticized that move?\ You were criticized openly by others in the league and even Mr' hunt was not happy. It was rumored that it almost got you run out of town. TRUE? or FALSE.

MM; Tony Sawyer is a great kid and very talented. Everything about him said S T A R! As with all highly touted draftees there is a RISK. He was looked at as a possible world class/game changer. Albeit a very volatile personality as many talented young players can be. I was looking for a future replacement for (MLB) Kevin Willis, Taylor was looking at retirement as well. It was a gamble, no doubt. as I said to some of the GM's "it's not real my style, but sometime you just gotta say WHAT THE F#%&! I wished we could have kept him and tried to develop him, At the time we needed to move forward.

RC; Because you job was on the line?

[MM; Look here as a GM your *** is always on the line! (laughing) The axe can fall for lots of reasons...usually without notice. Mr Hunt and I have a great relationship...we agree on 85% of
decisions and the other 15% he wins because he signs the checks! Look here Robbie..(pulls out cigar)
No risk, No reward is not my way as a rule...I'm more conservative. When and if I take risks...I get second guested and if I don't I get criticized. It's all part of it./i]

RC; It's Robert and you can't smoke that in here...

[i]MM; You bet slick (spits tip through the air and lights cigar) Where were we now. Oh Yeah, My job...My job is to give Coach Graham the best players I can get and enable him to provide a winning culture. You don't necessarily NEED all 1st round draft picks and stars...It's nice but not practical. Look how far we have come...with conventional players with the right talents.

RC; Yes, Yes (interrupting) we've heard all that. many say you put the teams future in jepordy with the Sawyer Debacle....Now let me finish...not just with the busted player but losing 2 #1 picks, eating the bonus money, and then having to sign Isaiah Barstow for $70M!

MM; You got me Skippy! (smiling) 70M over 6 years. The freaking prime of his career. I'll put our starting LB's of Black, Barstow and Ali against anyone....and before you go there....NO we have not come to an agreement with David Ali...We will continue to work on it...if not Jones will more that likely step into the role next season...He's ready. I'm very happy with our home grown OLB's Black and Jones. I'll tell you there BOB-O ....(blowing cigar smoke) I have had probably 10-12 offers to trade them since they were drafted. There not going anywhere there are signed, sealed and doing great!

RC; Your pretty sure of your self....What about the rumors you will be leaving? Do you think anyone will want to put up with you? (laughing) What do you see for your own future?

MM; One thing I can say is that I am very happy as the GM of he Chiefs...I was in an uncofotable spot when we failed to make the playoffs 5 years in a row. Yes, we got close and there were some real heart-breakers. My JOB is to MAKE the playoffs and ultimately WIN the Superbowl. The end game of this is that it puts asses in seats and ultimately money in Mr. Hunt"s pocket! (tapping index finger on the table). He not here to lose money or football games. If that happens (losing) everyone is in a "world of ****!" Actually, I was looking at the a few other teams LA, Chicago and Atlanta were great opportunistic to start fresh and build a new team...I was not unhappy, just being forward thinking in case the axe fell. (phone ringing). Mr. Hunt and I talked...He gave me the opportunity to draft and manage his Syracuse team. He showed faith in my skill set so I jumped at the chance. I know you personally think I bit off more than I can chew...I can chew a lot there buddy boy (laughing and smacking stomach). It was the challenge I needed at the time...Real short term though....3-4 seasons max..then I will pass it on. (phone ring again) I have to take this pal.....

RC: sure...why not? it's your interview.....

.....................twenty mins later..................

MM; Here's an exclusive for ya. I just got word that RT Donnie Glanz, MLB Hererra, LDE Lewis Denniston and CB Joe Sun have retired as well as our long time offensive line coach Robert Ensor....coach Ensor is a tough one to take...I'm a little saddened He has been with the team since '71...we were good bud's since I came here 136-54 w-l record. He will be missed. Moving forward....I acquired two #3 picks from LA today as well and we signed an offensive lineman in free agency...we will announce soon....I have a few other bids on players as well. I don't want to discuss them yet.

[bRC; Word is the Redskins have ignited feeding frenzy and biding war! Any comment? ][/b]

MM; I'll say this Sporto.....The Gm's is this league are tough and comptitve, Very smart and shrewd...We don't get many FA "stars" so when a few turn up,...yeah The S@%T hits the fan....
specifically when guys like Guillen RT and Woodson WR are Trust into the market....These are examples of "game changers" Real world class guys... we will bid..I'm thinking they will go for $90-100M 5-6 years. Probably more than we will be willing to shell out...**** we can sign 15 players for that kind of cash... You refer to us as skin flints and "cheap" because it's simply not your money son.... (phone ringing again) eeeeeeh...excuse me........David Ali just signed with Green Bay....I wish him the best.....(phone ringing again)...look Bucco I'm gonna ask if we can finish later...Mr Hunt and Coach Graham among others are blowing me up...(puts out cigar in water glass) You need an ash tray here....Lets finish this tomorrow. I'll probably have more news for you...thanks (leaves)

[bRC; ok?][/b]

Well sport fans there you have it...a look into the mind and antics of the meatstick...arrrgh? part two of our conversation (???) in my next column.

Robert Cunningham
Sports Editor...I Think?

Last edited at 9/28/2019 9:52 am