League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1971 Regular Season

By chinaski
11/20/2017 9:08 am
GG CHI. Not going to lie, feeling really ripped off on that one. The KO return logic can die in a fire. And my punter shanks a punt for 30 yards late in the game setting up the winning FG. Ive never seen a punter shank one.

By jgcruz
11/20/2017 10:18 am
Good game, Cleveland. GL the rest of the way.

(As an aside, I am very disappointed that I spent a couple of hours of game planning that was NOT remotely followed. What's the sense of doing rules if they are not going to be followed? For example, I inserted a rule that called for various running plays 80% of the time on first and 10. Out of 10 running plays that fit the rule, 70% of the plays called were pass plays. My faith in the game engine is seriously eroded if something as basic as this is out of whack.)

Edit - I am no math major or anything, but based on my knowledge of statistics, I think the probability of calling 7 pass plays out of 10 plays when there are rules to call 2 pass plays out of 10 plays is .0787%. That is less than 1%. (I ran the calculation at this site: http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx#binprob.) If I am wrong (which is likely), please enlighten me.
Last edited at 11/20/2017 11:27 am

By Beercloud
11/20/2017 12:30 pm
chinaski wrote:
Ive never seen a punter shank one.

Oh ya punt shanks are a thing. They are far and few between which makes it pretty kool............ Unless it's my punter shanking one that is.

But what a great game. The whole scenario leading up to that game with Chicago leading the division all season til the end when Detroit wrestles it back from them. I think we may have a rivalry in the NFC North.

Last edited at 11/20/2017 3:17 pm

By Beercloud
11/20/2017 12:36 pm
jgcruz wrote:
(As an aside, I am very disappointed that I spent a couple of hours of game planning that was NOT remotely followed.

I've had the same thing happen. I've experimented in the test league where I had no rules and set the run at 100%. Passes were still made. But I may have had other factors affecting it. I need to do more experimenting with this when that leagues new season begins.

By Warthog
11/20/2017 12:47 pm
jgcruz wrote:

(As an aside, I am very disappointed that I spent a couple of hours of game planning that was NOT remotely followed. What's the sense of doing rules if they are not going to be followed? For example, I inserted a rule that called for various running plays 80% of the time on first and 10. Out of 10 running plays that fit the rule, 70% of the plays called were pass plays. My faith in the game engine is seriously eroded if something as basic as this is out of whack.)

Edit - I am no math major or anything, but based on my knowledge of statistics, I think the probability of calling 7 pass plays out of 10 plays when there are rules to call 2 pass plays out of 10 plays is .0787%. That is less than 1%. (I ran the calculation at this site: http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx#binprob.) If I am wrong (which is likely), please enlighten me.

You averaged 2.67 yards per carry in our game and you are complaining the sim didn't run the ball more? lol

I get your frustration though. When I have had things like that happen in the past, it seems like it was because of a conflict between the rules I use and the generic game planning. Once I changed that to make my rules much more specific, I haven't noticed that happening anymore.

Good game anyway. Any tips on how to beat the Chefs?

By jgcruz
11/20/2017 1:24 pm
Warthog wrote:
jgcruz wrote:

You averaged 2.67 yards per carry in our game and you are complaining the sim didn't run the ball more? lol

I get your frustration though. When I have had things like that happen in the past, it seems like it was because of a conflict between the rules I use and the generic game planning. Once I changed that to make my rules much more specific, I haven't noticed that happening anymore.

Good game anyway. Any tips on how to beat the Chefs?

Unless I am sorely lacking in my understanding of how rules work, I can assure you there was no conflict between my rule and the generic game plan.

Had the game actually followed my game plan I might have averaged more, less or the same per run as I actually did. In any event, the script would have been entirely different although the end result - a loss- probably would have been the same.

I am willing to live with the results of whatever my game plan calls for. My point was that in this case the game didn't follow my game plan - which seems to be a significant programming bug considering the plays actually called (although it is possible that I hit the lottery since my chances of calling the plays actually used was less than 1%). My point is further buttressed by beercloud's comments and experience.

My comment was not so much sour grapes as frustration. Following the script set out by rules (which always override the generic game plan) should be the easiest thing to program since it is simply statistical. If, for example, a rule calls for 100% use of a play or formation or whatever, and it supersedes everything else, then game play should reflect that rule. In this game, that was not the case. Perhaps JDBaker would be kind enough to reply.

By jgcruz
11/20/2017 1:28 pm
Good game anyway. Any tips on how to beat the Chefs?[/quote]

As for beating the Chief's, well, I have been fortunate enough to be competitive and could share my secrets. On the other hand, while we are divisional rivals, I can't necessarily root against them going all the way. About my only advice at this point is to outscore him best you can. Best of luck. ;-)

By Warthog
11/20/2017 6:21 pm
jgcruz wrote:
outscore him best you can.

"Outscore the opponent" is the one rule I use. ;-)

By Pernbronze
11/20/2017 7:29 pm
Good game Washington. Grogan went full Superbowl Gannon in that one.

By setherick
11/20/2017 11:08 pm
Warthog wrote:
jgcruz wrote:
outscore him best you can.

"Outscore the opponent" is the one rule I use. ;-)

It's the second rule in my game plan after "cheat like mad". #patriotsway #learnedfrombelichick