League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1977 Season

By Beercloud
1/14/2019 12:19 pm
Paydirt Report: Week 7

And then there were one. Only one team is left standing with an undefeated status and that would be the Detroit Lions. The Lions led by GM Duval beat the Chicago Bears 17-10 to go 7-0 on the year. The Pittsburgh Steelers with rookie GM cyclonelomax took down the Cleveland Browns 19-8 to give the Steelers their first loss of the season.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Seattle Seahawks in the battle royale game 34-17. Trailing 17-14 in the 4th quarter the Bucs rattled off 20 unanswered points to grab the victory.

But the most exciting game and the Game of the Week was the battle between division rival Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers. The game started with a bang and ended with a bang. It started with a 105 yd kickoff return by Oakland. After San Diego controlled the game and wrestled the lead back. The Raiders down 17-7 midway through the 4th quarter went to work. Oakland put up a FG with 8:38 remaining in the game to make it 17-10. That was a 14 play 82 yd drive that took up half the quarter. After a quick 3 and out by San Diego that only took :50 off the clock the Raiders drove 79 yds that resulted in a game tying TD. The game is tied 17-17. On San Diego's ensuing drive they used up 3:15 on 6 plays before having to punt the ball right back to Oakland. The Raiders would begin the drive on their own 32 with 1:23 left to go in the game. Oakland QB Shawn Curtis would start the drive with a 20 yd completion to TE Brown. After a holding call, Curtis would connect with TE Smith for 29 yds. Then Curtis would put the Raiders on top for good finding TE Brown again, this time in the endzone for the game winning 29 yd TD. San Diego's QB and future hall of fame candidate Raymond Houk would drive down the field but the Chargers would only get as far as the Raider 32 before the clock ended their hope to tie it up.

Week 7 Recap
AFC
West
With the loss to Oakland(4-3) the Chargers(5-2) fall back into 2nd place in the Wild West as Denver(6-1) won and holds the top spot. The Broncos appear to be for real. Kansas City(4-3) quietly rattles off their 3rd straight win to tighten the division up from top to bottom.

East
The East is all bunched up again. Thanks to the NY Jets(3-4) victory over division foe New England(4-3) and a Miami(4-3) win. Buffalo(2-5) suffered a loss to lose ground but are still in the thick of it.

North
Ya gotta love division rivalries. Pittsburgh with rookie GM cyclonelomax hosted undefeated Cleveland. Ya think cause the Browns were rolling at the time that the Steelers would roll over? Not........The Steelers(2-5) knocked off the Browns(6-1) and with the Bengals(5-2) winning its a race once again. Baltimore(3-4) slide continues.

South
Both Jacksonville(5-2) and Tennessee(5-2) distance themselves from the both Houston(2-5) and Indianapolis(2-5) with key divisional wins over them.

NFC
East
Everybody loses in this division this week. And everybody now has a losing record approaching the halfway mark in the season. Washington(3-4) still leads the way with Philadelphia(2-5), Dallas(2-5) and NY Giants(1-6) trailing but are still in it.

West
With the big Battle Royale 4th quarter melt down, Seattle(5-2) is now tied with Arizona(5-2) who wins again. Los Angeles(3-4) wins their 2nd straight and trying to sneak up into things, while San Francisco(1-6) wins their frst game of the year over the lowly Giants.

North
Detroit(7-0) remains the last man standing in Paydirt with an unblemished record. Green Bay(4-3) won their 3rd straight on their quest to get into the playoffs and do some damage even if it has to come from a wildcard spot. Chicago(3-4) and Minnesota(2-5) both go down this week.

South
Tampa Bay's(5-2) big win over Seattle helps them maintain their cushion in the South. Which was key because they can see Carolina(3-4) rebounding from a rough start of their season. Atlanta(3-4) loses to Carolina to fall below .500 for the first time this season. New Orleans(1-6) brings up the rear.

Big Games Week 8
NY Jets @ Washington
Oakland @ Kansas City
Detroit @ Jacksonville - Battle Royale
Denver @ San Diego - Battle Royale
Miami @ Cincinnati
Last edited at 1/15/2019 9:08 am

By Warthog
1/14/2019 12:40 pm
GG cyclone, hard to overcome 5 interceptions. I may be making someone a crazy offer for a new QB!

By Gustoon
1/14/2019 12:58 pm
vcr5150 wrote:
gg Jets/Gustoon

Normally would like my chances getting 4 turnovers - but when you give up 6 of them, it doesn't work out very well.

GG VCR, yeah backwards and forwards game. Hoping to make a late run now, blackflys ;)

By CoachNorm
1/14/2019 1:44 pm
GG Redskins.

By jouameng
1/14/2019 4:34 pm
I think I can speak for the both of us when I say that was an ugly offensive performance... Good Game Falcons!

By Hellbringer
1/14/2019 5:36 pm
jouameng wrote:
I think I can speak for the both of us when I say that was an ugly offensive performance... Good Game Falcons!

Yeah, somewhere there is a solution in this 4.4 patch.

By GrandadB
1/14/2019 8:36 pm
Was a game Vikes/jmvda, did not expect a blowout but will take it, scoring 49 in 4.4 is not easy but am hoping a few of the changes made will stick and keep producing. cheers!

By jgcruz
1/15/2019 8:18 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
Saint ****. That’s the summary of the 1977 season.

Not really. You've had a very difficult schedule at this stage in the development of your team.

By jgcruz
1/15/2019 8:22 pm
Wolveraider wrote:
Good game Chargers....and thanks to the MFN Gods for random TD returns.

Your defense is always tough and kept the clamps on us for almost 3 full quarters...we were fortunate to get a couple big plays in the 4th quarter.

Always nice to get these games behind us...good luck the rest of the way.

Congrats, Wolveraider. Fun game.

Look like we have a horse race in the AFC West - if the Chargers can take care of business against the Broncos. No small matter.

By Meatmen
1/15/2019 9:06 pm
jgcruz wrote:
Wolveraider wrote:
Good game Chargers....and thanks to the MFN Gods for random TD returns.

Your defense is always tough and kept the clamps on us for almost 3 full quarters...we were fortunate to get a couple big plays in the 4th quarter.

Always nice to get these games behind us...good luck the rest of the way.

Congrats, Wolveraider. Fun game.

Look like we have a horse race in the AFC West - if the Chargers can take care of business against the Broncos. No small matter.

Don't count the Chiefs out yet guys!...Beercloud picked me last so that's gotta count for something...LOL

Wolveraider I know we will have a good game I'm hoping our players don't end up with the serious injuries as in the past....Good Luck this week MM