League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1976 Season

By jouameng
11/27/2018 12:24 pm
Good Game Tampa Bay, no way we could compete with our offense banged up. Especially going up against a team preforming as well as yours. Good Luck the rest of the way!

By Beercloud
11/27/2018 12:26 pm
The Paydirt Report: Divisional Round

The Colts GM was quoted as saying, "Looks like two classic games coming up for the final four". And those words are the closest a guy can get to describing the two Conference Championship games on tap. These next two rounds are an epic battle of four teams, all of which are on a path of destiny. Battle Royale at it's finest.

Tampa Bay(15-0-1) is undefeated. You can't get more destiny than that. Seattle(15-1) has won 9 straight and comes in with a 1973 blackflys trophy under their belts. Cincinnat(14-2) still stinging from last years Super Bowl loss with a lil something to prove. And San Diego(14-2), who has been knocking on the door for years 6 straight years and now can taste that Super Bowl just around the corner. Oh and they have rattled off 11 straight wins. Talk about collision courses. Oh my.

Divisional Round:
All home teams with first round byes held their serves this round.

San Diego defeated the story of the year Denver Broncos 31-17. The Chargers jumped out early and never looked back. greyghost1225 is definitely on the GM of the Year ballot.

Cincinnati took care of Oakland 31-13. The Raiders held an early 7-3 lead and the two teams were tied 10-10 until the Bengals scored late in the 2nd quarter to take the lead 17-10. From there it was all Cincinnati. The big "mo" took over and wouldnt let Oakland back up. The Raiders will regroup and be back to battle those AFC West foes.

Tampa Bay steamrolled Carolina 45-28. The Bucs jumped out to a route of 38-0 score. But the former 1974 Super Bowl Champs showed what they are made of and came storming back scoring 28 straight points to make it a game late 38-28. But Tampa Bay delivered the dagger late in the forth to put the Panthers away for good. It's very tough feat to take down a division rival twice in the same year. But to do it 3 times and to a top quality and former champion. Well destiny just might be on the Buccaneers side in 1976.

In the best game of the day, the Seattle Seahawks edged the Green Bay Packers 35-28 in a good playoff battle. But 6 turnovers were too much to overcome for the Pack as the Seahawks to full advantage and advance to the Conference Championship. Green Bay has a top notch GM of their own in GrandadB and the Pack keeps getting a lil closer and a lil tougher each year.

Grab your drinks, get your salsa dips ready and open a bag of chips because these next two games are the clash of the titans. Who will it be?

By voegma
11/27/2018 3:52 pm
Wolveraider wrote:
Good game Bengals....that pretty much went as expected...my defense has been a liability all season (the last two seasons actually) and my QB didn't help with 3 bad picks.

That said...we definitely got beat by the better team on both sides of the ball.

Thanks Wolveraider. I was hoping to get you back for the loss in the regular season. I feel like the playoffs always comes down to turnovers.

By jgcruz
11/29/2018 3:43 am
Very difficult to plan against the Bengals. My only hope is to win a shoot out as it's unlikely that the Chargers will stop that potent offense. We will need a great deal of luck and roll a few snake eyes when needed. (A shout out to the old Strato-Matic.)

By Black Adder
11/29/2018 6:20 am
GG SEA,

The Bucc`s came up 1 game short of the Bowl game, with a heavy defeat to a superbly QB`ed team.Hosea is the best/fastest QB we have faced all year by far.

We didn`t move the ball till the 2nd Quarter, and by then we were 28 behind,we got back into it,but a INT in their redzone at the start of the 4th Quarter put paid to a heroic comeback.

You aint under the radar no more Seattle!

Best of luck in the Bowl game.

By voegma
11/29/2018 7:19 am
jgcruz wrote:
Very difficult to plan against the Bengals. My only hope is to win a shoot out as it's unlikely that the Chargers will stop that potent offense. We will need a great deal of luck and roll a few snake eyes when needed. (A shout out to the old Strato-Matic.)

You had my offense stymied most of the first half and were able to stop me when needed. Great game and GL to you. Thanks for the compliment.

By Beercloud
11/29/2018 10:05 am
The Paydirt Report: Conference Championship

The gloves were of for the 1976 Conference Championship. In the opener the San Diego Chargers topped the Cincinnati Bengals 27-20. After the Bengals tied it up early in the 4th quarter the Chargers answered with a 4 yd game winning TD pass from veteran QB Houk to backup RB Robison. It was Robison's only catch of the game, but man it was one to put up on the mantle sending San Diego to their first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history.

The NFC Conference Championship game was not as dramatic in terms of late game drama. But it was a clash between two powerhouse teams and big plays would be the story of the day. Seattle Seahawk QB Hoses connected on 5 TD passes including 3 long ones to WR Lokker which was the difference maker in this game. QB Hoses finished with 16-32 428 yds 5 TD's and 1 Int. WR Lokker had a day to remember. A 7-311 yds 3 TD receiving day capped off his all-star performance. The heartbreaking loss was Tampa Bay's first of the year and had the Cleveland Browns popping that champagne cork for another season. It was one hellva run by the Buccaneers who will be a force to be dealt with in 1977. They'll be hungry.

Super Bowl VII
San Diego Chargers vs Seattle Seahawks

By greyghost1225
11/29/2018 10:53 am
jgcruz wrote:

Great job Chargers, one more to go. Bring the trophy back to the west!

By awest827
11/29/2018 10:56 am
Don't worry it's definitely coming back to the West

By greyghost1225
11/29/2018 11:24 am
awest827 wrote:
Don't worry it's definitely coming back to the West

Go chargers!