League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Rule Porposals

By setherick
4/16/2020 9:38 am
Here's more justification for my point #2 above. And justification for having a punt block "ban".

(Also, how about this for full disclosure y'all. Let's see you put this up too.)

My current db has LAST season and the first 10 games of this season loaded into it. I haven't loaded weeks 11 and 12, so these numbers are different. Here are the number of punts I've blocked and against which teams. Bolded are blocks against me.

Punting Team - Play by Play

ARZ 4-5-ARZ 35 (3:32) Punt BLOCKED by 43-James Dilley! recovered by LA.-43-James Dilley to ARZ 7 for 9 y
SD. 4-10-SD. 15 (1:12) Punt BLOCKED by 29-Donald Higgins! recovered by LA.-40-David Harden to SD. 3 for
DET 4-17-LA. 43 (9:11) Punt BLOCKED by 43-James Dilley! recovered by LA.-99-Randal Swint to DET 33 for 2
JAX 4-1-JAX 50 (8:03) Punt BLOCKED by 43-James Dilley! recovered by LA.-29-Donald Higgins to JAX 29 for
LA. 4-3-LA. 33 (2:45) Punt BLOCKED by 45-Stephen Foster! recovered by IND-45-Stephen Foster for 14 yards
SEA 4-18-SEA 29 (12:56) Punt BLOCKED by 43-James Dilley! recovered by LA.-43-James Dilley for -2 yards.
SF. 4-11-SF. 40 (8:49) Punt BLOCKED by 43-James Dilley! recovered by LA.-43-James Dilley for 15 yards. T
NYG 4-31-NYG 15 (1:00) Punt BLOCKED by 29-Donald Higgins! recovered by LA.-40-David Harden at NYG 18. Ta

So with 95 and 96 SP guys, I haven't blocked that many punts in two seasons. Mostly because teams know how to game plan.

The problem with punt blocks is that they stand out as a negative above all other negative plays. If you have a punt blocked in a game, it's all you remember. But it's rarely the thing that changes the course of a game. It's an observational fallacy that we should keep in mind.

[FYI - The version of SQLite Studio I'm using cuts the first letter of imported teams off. It's annoying.]
Last edited at 4/16/2020 9:51 am

By awest827
4/16/2020 11:09 am
Androwski wrote:
Am I the only one who have not yet had a punt blocked against this season? And only 1 in favor.

I have no problem with a rule against punt blocks tho. My only concern would be that the CPU sometimes put random player in ST even if you don't have them in the ST Depth Chart.

I have had 2 punts blocked this season 1 against Pitt and 1 against TB. I haven't blocked any punts despite having all my fastest players rushing the punter.

By Smirt211
4/16/2020 4:48 pm
That's true. The visual of the flash bomb, zip line punt block touchdown or just the regular variety elicits fury in the one whom it gets nailed on. I've very rarely had it be the reason I won the game, however, what it does provide is 'live cover.' You rev the sim up in your favor and get it rolling in a momentum which hopefully keeps the injury bug away from you or negative plays.

It's sort of like the old school days when an opponent would lack a kicker or punter. The sim engine locks in on that error and makes the offending team pay. I believe nailing a punt block or two in a game propels the sim engine to churn in your favor. (but I've completely dropped the tactic, which I mentioned somewhere else on this league's page)

Last edited at 4/16/2020 4:51 pm

By marinarul10
4/18/2020 12:12 pm
If you guys still looking for an exploit, you should be looking to Pitts WR Guy Lewis having 8 interception this season!!!! ..... Combined with the punt blocks, and maybe other things, seems that we are having with us this season the MASTER of everything not related to football!
Smirt, my friend, can you please share with us the other tricks so we can all have the same level of fun?

P.S. I am laughing alone thinking how stupid i am, in Champions League my super QB had more interceptions(and a tone of sacks) in a few games against Smirt`s team than against all the other teams in 2 seasons games.....

By Smirt211
4/18/2020 12:29 pm
Just stop on multiple levels. Your Champions QB - Phil Simms.

https://champions.myfootballnow.com/player/525

People can peruse his stats, if this was the QB you were talking about. Stats say it all.

Next up: Wait, you coming at me over punt blocks. I stopped. Last game we had here a few sims back with my having it pulled I had to survive your flash bombing me with two Punt Blocks which resulted in instantaneous touchdowns for you. I still won the game and you wanna cry?

https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/log/4541

Finally, your adventure in MFN began as GDB's 'apprentice' coming in at Crazy Razor un-scouted and making a point to be a real **** before and after the game in which you won.

Probably one of the most disgusting human behaviors I've seen on here. Wait, it was in this league too so people saw it.

Just stop.

Last edited at 4/18/2020 12:32 pm

By setherick
4/18/2020 12:42 pm
To give a serious answer about why WRs get so many INTs. INTs are based on a players catching ability, and coverage is still largely based on SP vs SP. That means a 90+ SP WR with 100 Catch can be an INT machine without getting burned too many times. Just don't ask him to tackle.

By Androwski
4/18/2020 2:07 pm
setherick wrote:
To give a serious answer about why WRs get so many INTs. INTs are based on a players catching ability, and coverage is still largely based on SP vs SP. That means a 90+ SP WR with 100 Catch can be an INT machine without getting burned too many times. Just don't ask him to tackle.

4.5 version is broken. This is so stupid.

I don't know if Smirt is the only GM doing this but I feel like playing WR's as CB's is too much but just my thought. I guess everyone is free to do whatever they want but man...

By DJSim22
4/18/2020 2:37 pm
We actually agree on something.

By setherick
4/18/2020 3:09 pm
Androwski wrote:
setherick wrote:

4.5 version is broken. This is so stupid.

I don't know if Smirt is the only GM doing this but I feel like playing WR's as CB's is too much but just my thought. I guess everyone is free to do whatever they want but man...

This isn't a 4.5 version problem. It's been a problem from the beginning. 4.5 actually made some improvements. Before 4.5, all coverage was was SP vs SP. So you just got 95+ SP WRs and ran the 122 WR Deep every play. You'd throw 8000-10000 yards a season with 60 TDs, 30 INTs, and 100 sacks given up.

By CrazyRazor
4/18/2020 6:48 pm
You guys are polluting the Rule Proposal thread with subject matter that SHOULD BE in the Rule Debate thread.